Re: [Dazuko-devel] Patch 2/5

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-devel] Patch 2/5
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:08:25 +0200

On 2010-10-28, Lino Sanfilippo <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> This patch enables behaviour compatible with BSD signal semantics
>>> by making the read() calls on the dazukofs devices restartable
>>> across signals.

a> Userspace will (in most cases) still see -EINTR if interrupted by a
> signal (in fact -ERESTARTSYS should never be seen by userspace).
> The exception is if a signal handler has been installed with the
> SA_RESTART flag set, the kernel will try to restart the interrupted
> system call (read() from dazukofs device in our case) and not notify
> userspace.  This is a feature that has been introduced by BSD and is
> also supported by Linux.  I thought it would be nice if dazukofs
> would support those semantics, too (i know some device drivers do,
> but I dont think its something a device _has_ to support...)

Thank you for the explanation. I wasn't sure because I couldn't find
the Linux code that shows how this was being handled. (But I must
admit that I did not look very hard.) I will include the patch for the
next release candidate.

John Ogness