Re: [Dazuko-devel] RedirFS and Dazuko Filter

From: Frantisek Hrbata
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-devel] RedirFS and Dazuko Filter
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:18:24 +0100

Hi John,

> I am happy to see that you were able to turn RedirFS into a project that
> lives beyond your research. I enjoyed reading your thesis. It is quite
> good, especially with the explanation of VFS on Linux. Such information
> is actually quite hard to find. It was good to see everything summarized
> in a single paper.

Thank you. It takes much more time and work to run this project than I expected
:).

> I was also happy to see that you are providing a Dazuko filter. This
> makes it possible for Dazuko-based applications to use RedirFS without
> requiring any re-compiling of the applications.
>
> Dazuko 2.2.0 had an important bugfix related to a locking problem, so it
> will be important that the patch is against 2.2.0. I will look into
> merging the patch into the Dazuko codebase.

Great, I am happy it is acceptable for you to add support for RedirFS
to the Dazuko codebase. I will create a patch for Dazuko 2.2.0 and I will
send a notice to dazuko-devel by the time it will be ready. It will definitely
need your review if everything is done properly and if the RedirFS support is
correctly plugged in Dazuko. I also think that for now the RedirFS support
should be marked as experimental.

> I look forward to seeing your progress with RedirFS (although I still
> believe overlaying filesystems is the way to go for Dazuko).

I also think overlaying filesystem is a good way, but not the only one.

RedirFS is kind of Linux kernel hack which will not probably be acceptable
for kernel developers. I hope that if people will find it useful we can discuss
with kernel developers how to add RedirFS features to the VFS layer correctly.

--
Regards,

Frantisek Hrbata
GRISOFT, s.r.o.