Re: [Dazuko-devel] Device file events

From: John Ogness
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-devel] Device file events
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:29:36 +0200

Abhishek Nayani wrote:
> May I suggest the filter be changed to some thing more like:
>
>      if (S_ISDIR(xfs->inode->i_mode))
>         return 0;

OK. I have made this change in CVS. This will show up in the next
pre-release (2.1.1-pre1).

> One more question, since we are going to be using DazukoFS (a stackable
> fs) in the next release, I tried a simple feasibility exercise. Using FIST I
> generated
> a wrapper file system which just forwards all VFS functions to the fs below
> it. When I
> mounted this wrapfs on top of root, I was able to see all the files under
> root but the files under
> child mounts like /usr and /home (which were mounted on different partitions)
> disappeared. Since
> whatever fs we stack, cannot override the path_lookup for other filesystems,
> is there a way
> to do it ? and has this been considered ?

Yes, "/" is an issue. However, I do not expect DazukoFS to be mounted once
and automatically cover all other mounts. DazukoFS would be mounted over
every exising mountpoint. For example, I would expect entries in /etc/fstab
that look like this:

/dev/hda2 /home dazukofs subtype=ext3,subopts=defaults 0 2

In other words, filesystems would actually be mounted by DazukoFS-mount so
that DazukoFS can be sure that it is "on top".

"/" is a special case and it has not yet been decided how this can be
effectively implemented.

Nothing concrete exists yet, so this is still up for discussion. But this is
how my view of DazukoFS has evolved.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer