[Dazuko-devel] MAJOR CVS commit

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] MAJOR CVS commit
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:38:44 +0100

Hi,

I have just finished commiting some changes that I have been working on for a week now. These are some major changes that include major improvements.

A little history: I originally received the source code to the Dazuko Project back in November 2001. Over the years I have worked to improve both the feature set and the design. From Dazuko 1.0 there are only 2 major items that still exist in the code today.
  - hooking the system call table
  - using a hash list of open files to determine file names "on close"

The second item (with the hash list) has always been a big, inefficient problem with Dazuko. Since Dazuko has had other more important problems in the past, this problem has always been low-priority.

Well, about a week ago I started taking this problem seriously and started digging in the kernel code to see what is going on. What did I discover? Dazuko doesn't need this hash list at all!!! It is no problem to lookup filenames (ie. grab dentry's) if you have a file descriptor!

I have now ripped out the hash list and implemented this on all operating systems. It works beautifully!
  - ON_CLOSE events are now reliable and accurate
  - ON_CLOSE and ON_OPEN events are now much faster
  - much less memory allocation and no more memory leaks

At the moment this means that ON_CLOSE_MODIFIED events will never be generated, but I already have a plan how to bring them back (without any real overhead).

These changes are only available in CVS. They will be posted on the website as a 2.1.0-pre-release (in a week and a half).

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer