[Dazuko-devel] 2.0.1-pre1 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] 2.0.1-pre1 posted
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:24:29 +0100

Hi,

I have posted the pre-release version 2.0.1-pre1. This version fixes the FreeBSD problem resolving local filenames (causing missed events). It also has full support for FreeBSD 5. My next target platform will most likely be Darwin (MacOS X). However, I first want to look into using a stackable filesystem rather than hooking file system calls. Hooking file system calls is really ugly and it is the one thing that causes other kernel developers to frown upon the Dazuko Project.

This version also integrated a new patch that I developed, which allows the ON_OPEN event to be generated when files are created. This event has been requested for a long time. Unfortunately this event cannot be blocked. This is because of my dependency on kernel functions to resolve file names based on existing inodes.

Another issue that has been brought to my attention is the file structure of the dazuko tgz. It is disorganized, non-intuitive, and ugly. The next pre-release will almost certainly have a completely new structure. Something like:

src
src/lib/c
src/lib/java
src/example/c
src/example/java
bin
lib
modules

The configure script will handle all of this, so that it will still be easy to build the Dazuko components. The difference is that it should be easier for people to find what they've built. Specifically, the examples would be put in the "bin" dir, the interface libs in the "lib" dir, and the kernel module in the "modules" dir.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer