[Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 2.0.0-pre4 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 2.0.0-pre4 posted
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:50:22 +0200

Hi,

Yet another pre-release of Dazuko 2.0.0 has been posted. After attending Linux Kongress 2003 last week, I learned a bunch of cool stuff to help improve Dazuko as a device driver. For example, Dazuko now uses write() instead of ioctl() for userspace to kernelspace interaction. This should (theoretically) help in performance and also make Linux Torvalds happier. :)

Every attribute in the dazuko_access structure now also has a corresponding "set_" flag. Using this, registered applications can know which values have been set and which not.

Lastly, I found a few problems with the backwards compatibility stuff. That has all been resolved now and I have tested it with:

- example program from 2.0.0-pre4 with kernel module from 1.0.0
- example program from 1.0.0 with kernel module from 2.0.0-pre4

Both situations work perfectly, which is very good news.

The only issue (ERRATA) that I consider fairly important at this point is that malloc's are being done in such a way that they could block. With the new signal catching scheme, it is fairly critical that registered applications do not block. However, this issue will most likely not be addressed before 2.0.0's official release.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer