[Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 1.2.x and 1.3.x

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 1.2.x and 1.3.x
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:29:49 +0200

Hi,

Exciting news! The latest version (in CVS) has complete support for FreeBSD (I have only tested it with versions 4.8 and 4.9-PRERELEASE). This includes SMP, chroot, fullpath, and local file accesses. The only thing left to implement is some memory bounds checking for the userland pointers. This means that 1.3.0-pre2 will be posted very soon and this will most likely be the final pre-release before 1.3.0.

I will also be releasing 1.2.2 very soon. It adds multi-thread capability to Dazuko's interface. (However, multi-threading does not and will not work for FreeBSD in 1.3.0)

I want to do one more release (after 1.2.2) in the 1.2.x branch before encouraging everyone to move to 1.3.x. The final features of 1.2.3 will be:
  - each registered group has its own include/exclude lists
  - global list locks are broken down to local list locks

With these features, 1.2.3 will really be a fabulous version under Linux. Version 1.3.1 will also have all these features, but as mentioned before, it will have a substantial amount of new code, which has not been so well proven as the 1.2.x code.

What I also will be building into 1.3.1 is a completely new (yet fully backward compatible) device protocol. This will make it *much* easier to extend features and available information in the future. Although this will be a large effort, I think it will be worth it in the long run.

As one last note, I have developed a "configure" script for detecting your system and building Dazuko.

./configure
make

Since it takes all possible options (and operating systems) into account, it should make it much easier for people to get Dazuko up and running. This will be available in all future releases.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer