[Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 1.3.0-pre1 posted

From: John Ogness
Subject: [Dazuko-devel] Dazuko 1.3.0-pre1 posted
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 12:21:16 +0200

Hi,

Today I have posted two versions. The first is 1.2.2-pre1, which has
some very minor improvements. The other is 1.3.0-pre1. This is a *major*
upgrade. This is the first public version of the 1.3.x branch, which
includes the new abstraction layer I have been developing for the past
few months.

This abstraction layer is called dazuko_xp (for cross-platform) and
contains all the main functionality of Dazuko. For each platform, an
extension is written to handle low-level, platform-dependent
implementations.

1.3.0-pre1 has a complete Linux extension, implementing exactly the same
functionality of 1.2.2-pre1. Although I will not be encouraging
organizations and users to start using the 1.3.x branch, I *will* be
encouraging developers to start using it. The DazukoIO API is exactly
the same, so the only difference is the underlying code.

To demonstrate the power and flexibility of the new abstraction layer,
version 1.3.0-pre1 also includes basic support for FreeBSD! Still left
to be implemented for the FreeBSD extension is SMP, chroot, and local
accesses (access based on local filenames rather than fully qualified
filenames). All of these features will be implemented before 1.3.0 is
released.

This is very exciting for Dazuko, as it begins its journey to expand to
multiple platforms. The future plan for platform expansion is the
following (in this order): FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, MacOS X, Windows
series. For the Windows series, we will start with Windows95 and work
our way up.

As far as licensing for 1.3.x, everything is under a BSD license. The
only exception is the Linux version. The Linux extension will remain
under the GPL license, thus the Linux kernel module of Dazuko will be
under the GPL. This is only for Linux. The DazukoIO API will remain
under a BSD license for all platforms.

Today I head off to LinuxTag in Karlsruhe, Germany. If you will be
there, please stop by and say hello. I will be at stand D5. On Thursday
at 15:00 I will be giving a presentation on Dazuko.

John Ogness

--
Dazuko Maintainer