criawips-devel

Re: [devel] You need a PieceTable!

From: Sven Herzberg
Subject: Re: [devel] You need a PieceTable!
Date: 10 Apr 2003 17:00:32 +0200

Am Don, 2003-04-10 um 11.59 schrieb address@hidden:
> Basically you really, really need a PieceTable. This is a data structure
> that allows you define a complex text and structure properties. I'd be
> happy to give advice and help but unfortunately I don't have time to code
> for your project. AbiWord consumes all my Hacking time.

  Great, all that stuff was left to the gnomecanvas in agnubis, which
was controlled by gdome2. One thing that I didn't like.

> Anyway, I feel very strongly that unless you design your app to use a
> piecetable and have a well defined Model (Piecetable) View (Implementation
> of the Piecetable) and control you will be doomed to failure yet again.

  MVC is IMO a must-have for a presentation program because there can be
more views for one slide (remember the slide browser of powerpoint).

> If there is interest, I'd be happy to explain further.

  But there is one issue. The way abiword handles text and images is not
the way a presentation program should do. A presentation program should
have many piecetables (one for each text-block), so the piecetables
wouldn't be the model but a part of it.

--
Sven Herzberg <address@hidden> · ICQ: 177176742
Webmaster von GNOME Deutschland    · http://www.gnome-de.org/