crack-attack-devel

Re: [crack-attack-devel] Crack Attack 1.1.14 Autopackage and Sound

From: Andrew Sayman
Subject: Re: [crack-attack-devel] Crack Attack 1.1.14 Autopackage and Sound
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:01:37 -0400

Rykel wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Thank you for giving us Crack Attack. Truly an interesting game.
>
> However, I have been waiting for the 1.1.14 Linux Autopackage version
> since this release was announced, but it is still not available. I
> understand that perhaps it is a difficult task to make an autopackage
> file, so I do thank your developer(s) who is in charge of the
> autopackage creation.
>
> I wonder if your team could release the Linux autopackage file first
> before anything else in future?

This is the normally intended course of action, but 1.1.14 was a little
different. The autopackage build system wasn't available at the time. I'm
actually building a new 1.1.14 autopackage as I type this. I'll have it pushed
to Savannah by tomorrow.

> This is because with an autopackage file, we do not need to open a
> terminal just to install a program, and it works just like Windows XP
> programs... that is, click and install. Really easy, and all my Windows
> XP friends who are migrating to Linux say so too.

I understand and appreciate the benefits a great deal. If anything, I should be
apologizing to Autopackage users for leaving them out in the cold, because I
want to support the goals of the project.

> On a second note, my version 1.1.13 does not have music or sound when
> playing. Is this supposed to be normal?

This is normal. The sound and music depend on libSDL and certain patches to it.
The autopackage mechanisms to deal with not just having these as required
libraries aren't currently being used by Crack Attack! I don't really want to
require libSDL at this time because the sound and music patches aren't
officially supported. I'll consider putting out an interim/beta-testing version
with sound.

> Thanks for listening, and I appreciate your time!!

I appreciate your interest.