crack-attack-devel

[crack-attack-devel] Autopackage

From: Andrew Sayman
Subject: [crack-attack-devel] Autopackage
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 16:28:12 -0500

Autopackage has just stabilized, and I think we'd do well to support it. If you
haven't tried it out yet, it's a great step forward for users to be able to
install things by clicking on them. It's distribution neutral, and has a nice
gtk+2 frontend (I'm looking at you Webb).

Two major things need to happen in order to support Autopackage:

[1] Make Crack Attack! binary relocatable
[2] Write the package file

[1] Binary relocation--according to the documentation--isn't very challenging to
accomplish. Documentation on how to use BinReloc in general can be found here:
http://autopackage.org/docs/binreloc/ . In a very general sense, what will be
required is to change the defines in Game.h to use calls to BinReloc, and then
integrating BinReloc into the build system.

[2] Documentation:
http://autopackage.org/developer-quickstart.html
http://autopackage.org/docs/devguide/index.html

The package file will mimic the installer script mostly.

If anybody would like to take a stab at putting this together, drop us a line.
If not, I'll probably get started on it this weekend.