cplay-dev

Re: [cplay-dev] Revival for real, seeking previous work

From: Tomi Pieviläinen
Subject: Re: [cplay-dev] Revival for real, seeking previous work
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 12:09:45 +0200

Thanks for interest. Yeah, I had found the github repos, and plan on
using those as base.

> cplay Temporary Files May Let Local Users Gain Elevated Privileges
> http://securitytracker.com/id/1010574

This is fixed in Debian and included in the github repos.

> I found that using mpg123 with the --aggressive flag was very
> useful.

This needs root, and it's usually not a wise idea to run anything as
root. I wouldn't want to include any features that recommend that to
end users.

> feature request:  report when mpg123 or mpg321 do not exist.  Fail
> gracefully.

Yeah, the errors need to be clearer for every file type.

> This is a nice blog post of cplay.  I wonder if its author has any
> other notes on cplay or old source archives that may be useful..
> http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05/01/howto-use-cplay-like-a-pro/

I hadn't seen that before. But it doesn't seem to include any gripes
or wishes, it just tells how to use cplay. Personally I almost never
use the file browser, I just launch cplay giving it the folder or
folders I want to play (I have organized all of my music into
structure of "artist/albumyear albumname/tracknumber trackname").

--
Tomi Pieviläinen, +358 400 487 504