Re: ls --dired : be more proactive with errors [was: Re: ls/test: verify

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: ls --dired : be more proactive with errors [was: Re: ls/test: verify the output of ls --dired]
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:05:44 +0100

On 17/09/2023 15:00, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:

Le 15/09/2023 à 14:53, Pádraig Brady a écrit :
On 14/09/2023 23:05, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
Hello

Currently, GNU coreutils doesn't have any test verifying the actual
output of ls --dired.

It should generate a list of position (pairs).

//DIRED// 73 82 142 152 ...

The attached patch creates 2 files and one directory and verify that we
can find their names using the position.

Well the existing test did verify --dired output offsets,
albeit constant offsets from the non varying output.

Thanks.

Here is a second patch to improve the error management.
Currently, "ls --dired" silently fails

I implemented the first suggestion in the FIXME.

Yes silently ignoring --dired isn't ideal.

However I'm thinking --dired implying -l,
and taking precedence if specified last
would be preferable?

That's done in the attached.

cheers,