Request for help getting coreutils dircolors to work with the ls command

From: Stephen Ferris
Subject: Request for help getting coreutils dircolors to work with the ls command
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 09:52:09 -0600

I am on macOS Ventura. The shell I’m using is zsh. I have the .dircolors
database in my home folder (~/.dircolors). I downloaded coreutils using
Homebrew. I am also using oh-my-zsh with the aliases plugin, which includes
aliases for the ls command.

I have, I think, carefully read Section "10.4 dircolors: Color setup for ls” in
the online coreutils documentation and attempted to follow the directions there
to get LS_COLORS to work in my environment, but without success. These are the
lines I have in my ~/zprofile file. I have not placed them in my .zshrc file.

export PATH="/opt/homebrew/opt/coreutils/libexec/gnubin:${PATH}"
export MANPATH="/opt/homebrew/opt/coreutils/libexec/gnuman:${MANPATH}"
export CLICOLOR=1
export CLICOLOR_FORCED
ls --color=always
eval "$(dircolors --bourne-shell ~/.dircolors)"
d=.dircolors
test -r $d && eval "$(dircolors $d)”

I have tried most of the options in the eval command, but none of them seems to
work for me.

I would greatly appreciate if you could spot anything I am doing incorrectly or
advise me other things I should be doing. Thank you. Stephen Ferris