Re: coreutils-9.3.147-d553ab on Android

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: coreutils-9.3.147-d553ab on Android
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 19:49:31 +0200

Pádraig Brady wrote:
> A lot of the test failures are just because
> curly quotes are being used in diagnostics,
> thus causing expected messages not to match.
> Searching for curly quotes in the logs show many instances like:
>
>    -sort: text ordering performed using simple byte comparison
>    +sort: text ordering performed using ‘C.UTF-8’ sorting rules
>
> Given the utils themselves should be fine,
> and fixing this up might be quite invasive,

It's too early to fix this, also for another reason: I plan to change
gettext() so that it treats the C.UTF-8 locale like the C locale,
that is, no translations are looked up. Once this change is deployed,
we'll have to see how to adapt the quotearg module accordingly, and
the combination of both changes will likely have an impact on these
test results on Android.

Bruno