[sort] Suggestion: count keys from the end of record

From: Renaud Pacalet
Subject: [sort] Suggestion: count keys from the end of record
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 16:40:39 +0200

I am a bit surprised that it has never been suggested before but I could not find any trace of it, so here it is:

Would it be possible to specify the sorting keys from the end of the record, instead of the beginning. Something like sort -k-1,-1 to sort on the last field of each record, sort -k-2,-2 for the second to last...

This would be handy when the format has a variable number of fields per record but the last records are well defined.
--
Renaud Pacalet
Télécom Paris