Re: cut -DF

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: cut -DF
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 12:38:39 -0600

On 1/7/22 9:06 AM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> I'm not sure about the --allow-duplicates long option for -D,
> as the duplicate aspect is not the only or even the most important
> aspect of that mode.  I do like it matches the "-D", though I
> don't like "-D" was used for this as I mentioned previously.
> Maybe -D, --definitive-list would be better?

For reference:

$ toybox --help cut
Toybox 0.8.6 multicall binary: https://landley.net/toybox (see toybox --help)

usage: cut [-Ds] [-bcCfF LIST] [-dO DELIM] [FILE...]

Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output.

Each selection LIST is comma separated, either numbers (counting from 1)
or dash separated ranges (inclusive, with X- meaning to end of line and -X
from start). By default selection ranges are sorted and collated, use -D
to prevent that.

-b      Select bytes
-c      Select UTF-8 characters
-C      Select unicode columns
-d      Use DELIM (default is TAB for -f, run of whitespace for -F)
-D      Don't sort/collate selections or match -fF lines without delimiter
-f      Select fields (words) separated by single DELIM character
-F      Select fields separated by DELIM regex
-O      Output delimiter (default one space for -F, input delim for -f)
-s      Skip lines without delimiters
$ busybox --help cut
BusyBox v1.36.0.git (2022-01-05 17:54:25 CST) multi-call binary.

Usage: cut [OPTIONS] [FILE]...

Print selected fields from FILEs to stdout

        -b LIST Output only bytes from LIST
        -c LIST Output only characters from LIST
        -d SEP  Field delimiter for input (default -f TAB, -F run of whitespace)
        -O SEP  Field delimeter for output (default = -d for -f, one space for
-F)
        -D      Don't sort/collate sections or match -fF lines without delimeter
        -f LIST Print only these fields (-d is single char)
        -F LIST Print only these fields (-d is regex)
        -s      Output only lines containing delimiter
        -n      Ignored

The original mnemonic for -D was "Don't". :)

Rob