Re: split: Allow splitting by line count (instead of byte size)

From: John
Subject: Re: split: Allow splitting by line count (instead of byte size)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 18:51:06 -0600 (CST)

* On Tuesday, January 12, 2021 19:15, "Bernhard Voelker"
<mail@bernhard-voelker.de> said:
> The original case was to split a file into 2 pieces

  That's not exactly true.  My original ask was to split a file into pieces by
line count instead of byte count; the fact that my example was for two chunks
is immaterial.

> several ways to solve this problem have already been presented.

  True.  As I've already said, I _can_ work around this, but this email thread
isn't about whether I can find an alternate route, it's about whether the
functionality can (should?) be added to split.

> Everything beyond sounds even more like an extreme corner
> case and not really worth adding complexity.  Unless it's
> a trivial extension (which I doubt), I'm against adding it.

  Lots of things sound like extreme corner cases until they're _your_ use
cases. :)

  That said, you're not technically wrong that it might be one.  If that's true
(e.g. that the only argument against is that it might not be worth the
developers' time), then I'd prefer to let them decide that for themselves.
(I'm assuming you're not one of the developers due to your "which I doubt"; if
you are in fact one of them then my apologies for presuming.)

  Aaaaanyway, I don't want this thread to devolve into my justifying my own
feature request to people who don't really care one way or the other, 'cause
nobody wins in that.  I'll still monitor the thread in case anybody needs
anything from me, but at this point I feel like I've contributed all I usefully
can.  Thanks to everyone for taking the time to look into it, regardless!