Re: how to sell network nodes

From: L A Walsh
Subject: Re: how to sell network nodes
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 14:36:10 -0800

On 2020/11/12 00:48, Michael J. Baars wrote:
Hi,

I needed to zero out my hard drive because one of my nodes has become unstable.
To this purpose I used coreutils dd with the following command line arguments

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmc... status=progress

and I noticed how slow this program is in doing the job. So I tried a couple of
different settings, like

bs=1048576 oflag=direct

but without significant improvement. The results are always the same... around
25 mb/s.

Then I remembered this little benchmark I write not so long ago, please do have
a look at it, it won't destroy your drive. I included the results obtained by
running the benchmark on the computer I'm currently working on, so you can
compare them to your own.
---
   Your benchmark uses 'random' as input, which I seem to remember having
it's own slowness.

   Using '/dev/zero' as input, I immediately got 49MB/s.

   Ensuring the file was in 1 contiguous area on disk (used xfs_fsr) and
    "nfrags"
   I got     up to 56.1MB/s.

   Using a bs of 16MB and 4 blocks, I got up toe 64.3MB/s.

   Trying it on my larger RAID disk w/same sizes: 1.6MB/s.

Hope that one of you feels inspired enough you to pick up the dd source codes
and finish the job.
---
   Is that what you meant?

   All of those are rotating rust...the 1st disk is a
RAID5.  The larger Disk is a RAID10 with 6 stripes.