chmod: man page clarification for letter X

From: Tomás Fernandes
Subject: chmod: man page clarification for letter X
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 18:28:59 +0100

Hello,

I've recently come across chmod's man page as someone who is not very
experienced (1st year CS undergrad), and found that the definition of the
letter X in the man page a bit unclear, more specifically this part (in
bold):

execute/search only if the file is a directory or already has execute
permission
*for **some user* (X)

In my opinion this could be worded slightly better and more clearly as:

execute/search only if the file is a directory or already has execute
permission
*for **user, group or other* (X)

Please let me know what your thoughts on this change would be, and if
necessary I would be very happy to provide the patch for this change myself.

Thank you,
Tomás