md5sum outputs '-' when using stdin

From: coreutils
Subject: md5sum outputs '-' when using stdin
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 10:41:01 +0100

eg:

$ echo 'hello world' | md5sum
6f5902ac237024bdd0c176cb93063dc4  -

What's use is the '-'?

Obviously it indicates the file content it taken from the standard input, but
is that of any actual use?

I'm finding that I always end up having to strip it off so I can isolate the
actual hash. It's a minor irritation, but I did wonder if it actually serves
any purpose.

$ md5sum --version
md5sum (GNU coreutils) 8.30
Licence GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by Ulrich Drepper, Scott Miller and David Madore.

dwater