Tail bug when following non-existent files and skipping lines (tail -F -

From: Jon Hart
Subject: Tail bug when following non-existent files and skipping lines (tail -F -n +2)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 13:26:58 -0700

I have a file that does yet exist, but when it does finally exist I want to
skip the first line and follow the remainder of the file.  tail -F -n +2
should do this, however it does not skip the first line -- it starts
printing at the first line.

In one shell, fire up tail on a file that does not yet exist and tell it to
start printing at the second line:

$ tail -F -n +2 /tmp/does_not_exist
tail: cannot open '/tmp/does_not_exist' for reading: No such file or
directory

In another shell, write several lines to the non-existent file:

$  echo -e "line1\nline2\nline3" > /tmp/does_not_exist

Now see that tail printed out all three lines rather than skipping the
first:

tail: '/tmp/does_not_exist' has appeared;  following new file
line1
line2
line3

tail/coreutils 8.28

I don't see anything in the help that hints at what might be happening
here.  Smells like a bug.  Can anyone else confirm?

Thanks!

--
NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: At Rapid7, the privacy of our customers,
partners, and employees is paramount. If you received this email in error,