Re: seq feature: print letters

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: seq feature: print letters
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:32:48 -0500

On 01/26/2015 03:39 PM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
On 25/01/15 05:10, Assaf Gordon wrote:

I'm thinking that perhaps it would be better not to include this in
'coreutils', and instead put it in another, separate project.
This way, there's no worries about adding bloat to coreutils, while being more
flexible in adding other features (like additional character sets from latest
unicode).

<...>

I was thinking of features like:

<...>

That does sound like it's getting out of scope for seq
So I believe it is down to a judgement call, as to whether include the feature in coreutils' 'seq', and keep it minimal,
or move it to a separate project, and expand it over time (or both - the minimal
"index" letters in coreutils, and more sets in a separate project?).

The decision is of course yours.

As a side note,
In the patch that I've sent, some of the sets of letters have been copied from
the Unicode/CLDR website and data files.
To the best of my understanding, this is fully compatible with GPL ( see
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#Unicode ),
But it might be needed to include the unicode license file as an additional
file.
I can send an improved patch if we've proceeding with including this feature.

Regards,
 - Assaf