Re: Splitting search results from a "find -print0"

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: Splitting search results from a "find -print0"
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 23:13:47 -0500

On Jan 8, 2015, at 21:16, Pádraig Brady <address@hidden> wrote:
> I made a few adjustments, as seen inline below.

Thank you for the clean-up and fixes. Looks much better now.

> The main change was the removal of the -z option as that's supported with -t
> '\0'.

I humbly do think that the '-z' is nice, add some symmetry with the other
utilities which support '-z' for NUL line-termination. I understand "split" is
not strictly a line-based utility (more like 'record-based'), but in the
use-cases when the separator is relevant, it is commonly used for lines.
So if one combines it with other gnu programs (e.g.
find/xargs/sed/grep/sort/join/uniq) - it is '-z' almost for all of them. But
this is nit-picking, of course, and does add some bloat/redundancy.

If not '-z', perhaps it's worth adding an explicit mention of the "-t '\0'"
method ?
at least for other programs, the man-page clearly mentions the words 'NUL' and
'zero' - giving inexperienced user a hint about what to do.

Thanks,
 - Assaf