Re: coreutils release plans

From: Ondrej Vasik
Subject: Re: coreutils release plans
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 10:55:09 +0100

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 09:11 +0000, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> So coreutils-8.23 is shaping up to be a bug fix release
> which I hope could be released within 3-4 weeks.
> There are a few outstanding items including various df fixes
> and sort multithreaded fixups to include. We should concentrate
> on any of the outstanding non feature bugs in this time.

What df fixes in particular? Based on Fedora-7 beta reports (rhbz
#920806, #1024730 , #1042840 ...) I know there are still the
deduplication issues caused by /etc/mtab symlink (fuse fs, bindmounts)
which might be relevant to backport to released Fedoras.

> After that the ground would be clear for a more
> invasive update to add prelim multibyte support
> and also the unified join/uniq/sort key selection.

Do you plan just the first few utilities (expand/unexpand) from patches
written by Ondrej Oprala or something more? Anyway - sounds like a
another test for downstream i18n patch maintainance :) - both parts will
affect it heavily.

> So I'm thinking:
>
> 4 weeks:  8.23 bugfix stable
> 10 weeks: 9.0  feature unstable
> 14 weeks: 9.1  bugfix stable

Sounds pretty challenging - to have the key-selection and the first
multibyte items in 6 weeks.

Greetings,
         Ondrej