Re: dd: it doesn't continue after errors

Subject: Re: dd: it doesn't continue after errors
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 22:45:42 +0100

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 12:01:59 -0500
Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Friday 28 December 2012 06:41:02 YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote:
> > I am trying to blank a 160 GB hard disk drive but I got an error and dd
> > doesn't want to continue: $ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb
> > conv=noerror,sync
> > dd: writing to `/dev/sdb': Input/output error
> > 6160537+0 records in
> > 6160536+0 records out
> > 3154194432 bytes (3.2 GB) copied, 209.528 s, 15.1 MB/s
> >
> > Only 3.2 GB have been copied...
> >
> > Have you any idea on how to force dd to continue after errors?
>
> look at `dmesg` and see if it's reporting errors.  if so, consult the
> feedback
> Pádraig and Bernhard provided.
> -mike

Yes I see some errors when I look at `dmesg` concerning my hard disk drive.
But it's normal, I know this hard disk drive has problems.
I just want to clean it a last time before forget it... And maybe, if it's
possible, repair it using some tools but I don't think it's possible.
OK, I will follow the instructions given by Pádraig and Bernhard.
There are some interesting utilities that can help me (shred, dd_rescue and GNU
ddrescue).

Thank you.
Regards.