Re: Generating pseudo-random integers

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Generating pseudo-random integers
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 14:22:14 -0700

I am sorry if I misunderstood but you said this:
> > I think I want to write a utility that prints pseudo-random integers
> > (I have in CL, but I like it fast, so this time in C), and link it
> > with coreutils.

Saying that gave me that impression.  Since coreutils is not a library
and one cannot in any way link with it in the sense of a C program
linking to a library then you can only be implying that you want to
submit a program with the coreutils package.  People are often writing
to the mailing list asking to include their code in coreutils.  I
believe that is the same impression that everyone else had too.

> > I want to print uniformly distributed integers fast, formatted, in
> > bulk if needed. And I want to call it roll.  Let me know if you have a
> > word of advice.

This continues the impression.  Here you definitely say that you want
a program and not a C library.

> Of course, I would be delighted if any of my code was ever useful to
> anyone, and escpecially GNU, but so far I simply announced an
> intention to link with coreutils, because it already contains a very
> fast implementation of a desired algorithm.  The only place I am
> pushing this into is my own git tree.

The coreutils is not a library and it is not a link target.

You may be thinking of gnulib which is a library and is meant to be
a link target.  Coreutils uses gnulib.

Bob