Re: { mv test test; } should not fail

From: Krzysztof Żelechowski
Subject: Re: { mv test test; } should not fail
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 18:17:33 +0100

Dnia piątek, 4 lutego 2011 o 17:24:55 Eric Blake napisał(a):
> On 02/04/2011 09:07 AM, Krzysztof Żelechowski wrote:
> > I know exactly which implementation of mv will be used.
>
> Not necessarily.  The point of open source is that someone can copy your
> scripts into their setup, which might be different than yours.

I do not care, the script is distribution-specific anyway.

Not in this case, but I heard voices when I wrote it :-)

> 2. That code snippet is bash-specific.

It is not a configure script, it is a platform-specific installer script.

> 3. What's wrong with textual comparison (as I suggested), which avoids
> the race between probing the system and actually trying to perform a rename?

Admitted, text is probably safer and I would use it if I seriously feared a
race.  To remember.

> At any rate, I don't see any reason for coreutils to change its
> behavior; although I might be persuaded otherwise if someone writes up a
> patch (including testsuite and documentation),

Whereas I hoped to be persuaded that failing makes sense and is *not*
counter-intuitive.  Of course, changing something just because is harder than
doing it right from the onset (example: Polish orthography).

> and in particular, you
> MUST ensure that coreutils does NOT regress on:
>
> ln a b
> mv a b
>
> which uses behavior 3 permitted by POSIX (silently unlink a, reducing
> the hard link count of b by 1).

I have observed that in the case { mv a a; } mv does not call rename at all, as
if trying to be smarter than the operating system.  I am curious why it was
implemented like this.

Thanks,
Chris