consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [SH] Sockethub introduction

From: Nick Jennings
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [SH] Sockethub introduction
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:31:53 +0100

Hi Melvin,

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Melvin Carvalho
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Why limit this to activity streams over JSON?  Surely the system should be
> independent of the serialization for a true polyglot approach.

Although Sockethub uses JSON objects that are based on activity
streams, I'm not sure they could be considered 100% activity stream
compliant. We just adopted the base-level properties "actor" "verb"
"target" "object".

There is no marriage to activity streams, and other data transfer
formats could be used ( code submissions welcome. *cough* :), but the
point here is to provide a simple, and easy to use API for developers,
this is not a 'web-facing' API, but more a library for developers (the
library just happens to communicate via WebSockets).

> Also note that there are many serializations that are patent and royalty
> free that can do this job, activity streams is not one of them.

Could you provide some links? Activity streams involve royalties? This
is news to me.