confuse-devel

Re: [Confuse-devel] questions about libconfuse code / conditionalinclude

From: Wolfgang Dautermann
Subject: Re: [Confuse-devel] questions about libconfuse code / conditionalincludes...
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:56:05 +0100

Josh Kropf schrieb:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> I'm not one of the confuse devs but I was just curious why you
> believe libconfuse is not a standard library?
>
> On the few systems I've used libconfuse is readily available in the
> package management system

I did not mean "not packaged in the distribution", but "usually not
installed". As long as not many projects (and no big projects) use it,
the usual Linux/BSD/... Distribution will not install it by default.
Yes, I know, thats not the fault of libconfuse...

But I want to make it as easy for the user to use the software
(especially, if he tries to compile it from source) - and there should
be as few external dependencies as possible.

A friend of mine gave in a example:
http://ekiga.org/index.php?rub=5&path=debian/sid-i386
vs.
http://ekiga.org/index.php?rub=5&path=windows/windows

(For installing the Win-version of that software you can just download
*one* file - and no external dependencies. Easy for the user. On the
other hand you have to download 11 packages (yes, I know, "apt-get" does
it usually automatically...)

So I want to include the necessary files (3) in our project
(http://www.blinkensisters.org/) - and there it would be fine, if I do
not need many modifications, so that I can upgrade the included files
easy, if you relase a new version...

Best regards, Wolfgang