classpathx-javamail

[Classpathx-javamail] Re: [fedora-java] Re: [OX Devel] Re: Devel Digest,

From: Chris Burdess
Subject: [Classpathx-javamail] Re: [fedora-java] Re: [OX Devel] Re: Devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 6
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:39:56 +0100

FYI

Stefan Preuss wrote:

Am Jul 19, 2005 10:26 AM schrieb Martin Kauss <address@hidden>:

On Jul 19, 2005 09:57 AM, Chris Burdess <address@hidden> wrote:

Tom Tromey wrote:
Chris> If you just want ACL support in the GNU IMAP provider, we can
schedule
Chris> it in for the next release.

Martin> We can help to make such an implementation happen, but our
Martin> focus is the solution and the features. Thats why we have not Martin> ask for methods. Now, if there is a strong demand and the GNU
Martin> Classpath developers are scheduling the complete
Martin> implementation of the required classes and methods for one of
Martin> the next GNU Classpath javamail API releases, we should have
Martin> some conversation how this can be implemented in a very easy
Martin> way (like some kind of configure option) to support it (of
Martin> course we must keep an eye on the effort ;-).

Martin> And to avoid any rumor, this strategy is part of our general
Martin> developing concepts. We do not reinvent wheels we are using
Martin> existing infrastructure wherever it fits our needs.

Let me make a somewhat more radical suggestion: if inetlib implements
the needed ACL support, how about switching to use it exclusively?

It does; the relevant IMAPConnection methods are setacl, deleteacl,
getacl, listrights, myrights.

It wouldn't be too much trouble to implement higher-level wrappers in
IMAPFolder if working with them is conceptually easier, though. Also,
as I mentioned before, JavaMail and JAF provide a whole MIME
implementation that may be convenient.

We are now using SUNs JavaMail API for some years, that also
includes Rights, ACLs and Quota (even if they are marked as
EXPERIMENTAL). These are requirements by many people which we
can't just ignore. These are the reasons why we can't use GNU JavaMail
at the moment. So, as soon as it's available at the GNU JavaMail we can
put this into our configure so everyone has the "freedom of choice"!

I've added access to the IMAP ACL support in inetlib via the IMAPFolder, using a higher-level API similar to Sun's (although obviously in the gnu.mail.providers.imap package, not the com.sun.mail.imap package).

There was already quota support in the GNU IMAP provider and this has not changed.

Please note that I am referring to classpathx CVS HEAD.

Give me a tootle if there's anything else you need.
--
Chris Burdess
  "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little safety