RE: Locale ResourceBundles

From: David Holmes
Subject: RE: Locale ResourceBundles
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:32:43 +1000

> Bryce McKinlay wrote:
> Good question. As you point out, getSystemClassLoader() will give the
> application classloader, so if we use the result of
> getSystemClassLoader(), then resources could be loaded from the
> application classpath instead of just the bootstrap classpath (ie
> glibj.jar). Which one we want depends on whether users/applications
> should be able to add their own locale data independently of
> Classpath's. I'm not sure whether that would be a useful feature, but
> I'm going on the assumption that its not really a _bad_ thing.
> Any opinions?

I don't know enough about where these resources are  supposed to be loaded
from to know whether a user/application should be able to define them
locally. But if they are allowed to do so, then it would seem to me that the
calls to load the resources must always use the current classloader (the
context classloader?) to ensure that locally defined resources are found. In
which case any attempt to pre-cache the classloader to use (even if the one
from getSystemClassLoader) could be incorrect as it could lead to a failure
to load the resource.

On the other hand, if we know these resources must be loaded from the
application classpath, then caching the system/application class loader
would be fine.

David Holmes