RE: clickthrough license

From: David Holmes
Subject: RE: clickthrough license
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:43:01 +1000

Dalibor,

> Till then, it's all 'what-if' speculation. Sun has tolerated[4]
> clean-room efforts like Kaffe since 1996, without threatening legal
> action, afaict, so I don't see why they should change their minds now.

I hear everything you said. But the issue that started this discussion was
whether a classpath developer could accept Sun's clickthrough license to
read the latest Java specifications.

My argument has been that even without a click-through licencse, all of the
Java specifications and API's are protected by Sun's specification license,
no matter whether you downloaded them or simply read them online.

So the answer to this has to be "yes, it is ok for a Classpath developer to
accept Sun's specification license", otherwise none of us can refer to the
API docs or spec to clarify any aspect of the APIs.

David Holmes