Re: [Little Off Topic] Revolution is on ;)

From: Arnaud Vandyck
Subject: Re: [Little Off Topic] Revolution is on ;)
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:48:47 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 00:33:08 +0100
Chris Gray <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, frankly I suspect that the JavaPolis agenda is set by their
> sponsors, and that some of these would not want to hear such a talk.

See the subject :-D

> So let's  by all means propose a paper or two for next year (like I
> already did this  year) _and then_ if it is refused, just convene our
> own alternative  conference at a nearby location.

Not a bad idea but I don't think it could be interresting. I prefer the
idea we meet all together at some freesoftware meetings

> In the meantime, is there anything planned for FOSDEM?  E.g., an
> open-source  Java track? This could be an opportunity the thesis that
> the future of Java  lies with us, not with S*n.

Of course! ;) And I suppose everyone will try to be there! ;)

http://www.fosdem.org/2004/index/speakers/speakers_tromey

GCJ

Tom Tromey has worked on many free software projects over the years. He
wrote GNU Automake, and these days is the libgcj maintainer.  He is an
engineer for Red Hat and lives in Boulder, Colorado.

GCJ is a free Java front end for EGCS. It can natively compile both Java
source and bytecode files. This new front end is integrated into the
EGCS project. The goal of the gcj project is to provide a complete free
software Java system, centered around an ahead-of-time compiler.

This talk will explain gcj's "radically traditional" view of the Java
programming language, and will cover the difficulties inherent in Java
precompilation.

        Website         http://gcc.gnu.org/java/
        Contact         tromey (at) redhat com

Also, maybe we can set a little JB party for the 0.07 release :-D

Cheers,

-- Arnaud Vandyck, STE fi, ULg
   Formateur Cellule Programmation.