Classpath licensing (Re: About the java.util.zip project)

From: John Leuner
Subject: Classpath licensing (Re: About the java.util.zip project)
Date: 23 Nov 2003 14:48:37 +0200

I am copying this to the jazzlib and classpath MLs to get some other
peoples' opinions on the Classpath license and how it should apply in a
case like this.

> My name is Dongku, Kim. I am a Japanese developer.

Hi

> My company makes commercial software. And, I work to make a module
> which makes a zip file from files by Java.
>
> So, I want to use your library. But I read the license at the
> homepage(http://jazzlib.sourceforge.net/).
>
> I think the license on your homepage means that I can use the library
> freely and I don’t need to obey the GPL license

No, the license says you MUST obey the GPL with one special exception

> if I use the library only by means of called the library to make a
> executable.

If you combine jazzlib "with independent modules to produce an
executable" you can "copy and distribute the resulting executable under
terms of your choice".

So you can use jazzlib in your program without changing the license of
your commercial software.

> For sure, if you can give me an answer for some questions, I am very
> happy for it.
>
> 1) If I use your library without change(source code) to make a
> commercial ziputility, should I open my ziputility source code?

The license says you must combine with "independent modules". If you
write a commercial zip utility I am not sure that this other code will
be "an independent module".

> 2) If I should open my source code, is there other method not to do
> this? For example, we can pay for the license.

No, I doubt this is possible.

> 3) If I use your library without change(source code) to make a
> commercial ziputility, what I should do not to violate your license?

I am not sure how to answer that, perhaps another developer can answer
this question?

--
John Leuner <address@hidden>