Re: VMInterface addition: Make native library names part ofVMInterface

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: VMInterface addition: Make native library names part ofVMInterface
Date: 07 Nov 2003 12:47:40 -0700

David> I don't think there is an easy solution to this as it is unlikely
David> that a single VMInterface will fit the needs of all VMs perfectly.
David> In some cases (java.lang.ref.* for example), I don't think that it
David> is reasonable for classpath to try to provide an implementation
David> that will actually work unchanged on all VMs.

Andrew> Exactly.  Classpath should provide a reference implementation,
Andrew> we but shouldn't expect every core class to be used unchanged.

I agree.  I think it is reasonable to expect libgcj to diverge from
classpath in some places -- there are areas where libgcj's needs
aren't the same as the needs of other VMs.  But at the same time, I'd
expect VMs that are unusual in other ways (e.g., IKVM or JikesRVM,
both "different" in one way or another) to also occasionally have
their own divergence.  Or, to put it another way, let's distribute
some of the divergence; it can't all rest on libgcj.  (Which I doubt
anyone is proposing anyway.)

Tom