Question about implementing java.awt.Toolkit.createComponent for lightwe

From: Scott Gilbertson
Subject: Question about implementing java.awt.Toolkit.createComponent for lightweights
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:59:24 -0400

I submitted the following patch for GCJ, but there's been some discussion
about whether it's OK.  I'm hoping someone on the Classpath project has
either already thought about the issue or can provide an opinion.
    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java-patches/2003-q2/msg00140.html

The patch implements java.awt.createComponent, so that lightweight
components and containers work (as would presumably be required for swing).
The above link includes a test class which works with the patch but not
without it.

Questions:

Is it right for java.awt.Toolkit to implement createComponent, or should it
return null and leave the implementation up to the platform-specific peers
(GtkToolkit, XToolkit, etc.)?

If my patch is OK, should it go in Classpath first, rather than directly
into GCJ?