cjk-list

Re: [cjk] Installation Cyberbit as PostScript font failed

From: amigolang
Subject: Re: [cjk] Installation Cyberbit as PostScript font failed
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 00:11:04 +0200

Dear Werner,

first of all many thanks for your quick and comprehensive answer!

In my email I tried to give as many hints as possible -- but I completely forgot to tell, that I am using texlive (and Winshell) since about the year 2000 or 2002.

I am happy, that you tell me, that generally I took the right approach. I tried gbsn first. That breaks as well telling me, that IT needs the font no. 38. But even more about one third of the rest of characters are simple missing (if I comment out the critical part -- the log file tells the same).

Gkai, bkai and bsmi I only tried with PDFLaTeX  (in a small sample file), but it would not work, telling me, "Metric  (TFM) file not found."

As the text I try to write  (or better copy) dates from the third century before Christ, it may very well be, that it contains rare characters. It is a part of the book of Mozi (numbers 119, 120 and 124 from http://ctwxt.org/mozi/canon-ii).

I had a hard try already switching to either XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX. For that I first tried to switch to PDFLaTeX, as from there the way wouldn't be long. The compilation first broke with several hundred errors.

Since I introduced the package etex into my files, that is substantially less. I still would have to alter several hundred places in my files, where I use psfrag. But I gave up after some time, when I realized, that the switch would not help substantially:

Whether I use pstool or auto-pst-pdf, the pictures with psfrag have to use the old LaTeX-way! So either I can not use the chinese fonts in pictures or I have to manage the PDF and the PostScript way, if I use one of the more modern ways... at least to me that looks more complicated than sticking to LaTeX...?

So, when I now understand everything right, the only possible way seems to be to use the Noto fonts as you proposed.

I already once sprang back from that -- too difficult it seemed to me...

Once more thanks for your help!
Thorsten

Von meinem Samsung Gerät gesendet.