cjk-list

Re: [cjk] I think I got the full fix ( Re: Fwd: HELP with emacs 25.1 and

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [cjk] I think I got the full fix ( Re: Fwd: HELP with emacs 25.1 and cjk-enc.el )
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 10:37:47 +0000 (UTC)

If you want my money, I think it was mainly these two -

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?h=emacs-25&id=9f89ea1f84dbf708228ced0202774b36f30f2b01
Remove charset map files from repository, generate in first bootstrap
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?h=emacs-25&id=49fa1919e9be863f22ec8042704bf3436d0ec26d
* admin/charsets/glibc/: New directory, imported from glibc 2.21.

and the changes surrounding or after these two which broke big5 usage - I think
these two commit changes the precise meaning of "chinese-big5-1" and
"chinese-big5-2" .

The division of -1 vs -2 is apparently because (older?) emacs's encoding is
limited to about 9000 characters, and somewhat artificial.

On Sun, 18/12/16, Hin-Tak Leung <address@hidden> wrote:

> The additional changes beyond the message() fix doesn't
 really do much more than (1) equal "big5" to
 "chinese-big5-1" and "chinese-big5-2" , (2) put ascii ahead
 of big5 in the priority. I suspect (1) is a recent emacs 25
 change; (2) really demonstrates how flaky/clever recent
 emacs is - it tries to say small or large english stuff
 within a chinese run is all chinese. sigh...