Re: require-extension and require-library

From: felix . winkelmann
Subject: Re: require-extension and require-library
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 23:32:03 +0100

> In general, this lack of specificity and consistency when it comes to how
> CHICKEN deals with files and modules in the smaller scale is something that’s
> keeping me from being truly productive with the environment; I just can’t come
> up with a flexible way to organize my projects that can adapt to my needs at
> any given point. It’s hard to me to suggest an alternative, since I’m having
> trouble seeing the full picture! But what I can say is that the manual could
> do a better job at presenting this information, since I’m seeing some concepts
> that are never directly addressed, just sprinked across multiple sections.

Yes, you are quite right - the documentation is not particularly consistent
on this point which is partially caused by legacy forms and concepts that
are not really relevant anymore or only for very special situations
(require-extension, units, etc.). Compiling single modules to .so's (+ import
libs) should be the canonical way, and using "import" (and nothing else).
Some of these concepts have their use, or reflect the internal structure
of how compiled code is organized and linked but should be presented clearly in
the documentation as such. We may get there at some stage, and suggestions
would be very welcome.

Have a try with csm, if you like. It is rather new and may need some tweaking,
if you have any problems, please don't hesitate to contact me or this list.