Re: Determining the correct, most up-to-date source/document for scrapin

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: Determining the correct, most up-to-date source/document for scraping CHICKEN SRFI metadata from
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 17:29:22 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 05:07:58 -0800 noosphere@mailc.net wrote:

> The "SRFI Table" project, which scrapes information about Chicken SRFI
> support, needs to find an authoritative and up-to-date source of this
> information.
>
> Background:
>
> Many of you will be familiar with the "SRFI Table" web page[1], which
> shows which SRFIs are supported by which Scheme implementations.
>
> A few days ago I found out that the Chicken SRFI support listed on that
> document was being scraped from a Chicken wiki page[2] that hadn't been
> updated since 2019.
>
> I found this out right after I'd created my new Chicken SRFI Support
> table wiki page,[3] which I had generated from an org-mode document in
> which I'd compiled from various sources on the Chicken wiki.
>
> I mentioned this to erkin (who authored the SRFI Table) on #scheme, who
> decided to scrape the org-mode document, since at the time it was the
> source of truth for the Chicken SRFI Support table wiki page, which at
> least as of a few days ago was the most up-to-date source of this
> information.
>
> But this org-mode document is neither a reliable nor authoritative
> source for this information, and it can and has gotten out of sync with
> what SRFIs chicken actually supports.
>
> The "Supported Standards" page[4], which is another source of Chicken
> SRFI support information is not complete either.
>
> There seems to be no one wiki page which is guaranteed to
> be either authoritative or complete which could be used by the SRFI
> Table project to find out which SRFIs Chicken supports.
>
> Issue:
>
> At erikn's request I've documented the issue with more detail on the
> project's repo:
>
>   https://github.com/schemedoc/srfi-metadata/issues/13
>
> Anyone interested in making sure the SRFI Table stays up-to-date with
> the SRFIs that Chicken supports is encouraged to read that issue and
> make suggestions.
>
>   --Sergey
>
> [1] -
> https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/schemedoc/srfi-metadata/blob/master/table.html
>
> [2] - https://wiki.call-cc.org/SRFI-conformance
>
> [3] - https://wiki.call-cc.org/srfi-support
>
> [4] - https://wiki.call-cc.org/supported-standards

If you assume that the SRFIs supported by the CHICKEN core are static
and the only variable source of supported SRFIs is eggs, you can get a
list of the current SRFI eggs with something like

wget --user=anonymous \
     --password="" \
     -qO - \
     http://code.call-cc.org/svn/chicken-eggs/release/5/egg-locations |\
     awk '/^\(srfi-/ {print substr($1, 2)}'

This assumes that SRFI eggs are named according to the `srfi-' pattern,
which might not be always true, though (e.g., vector-lib).

All the best.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario