Re: Trying to understand chicken limitations

From: Iain Duncan
Subject: Re: Trying to understand chicken limitations
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2019 16:54:04 -0800

Iain Duncan <address@hidden>

4:35 PM (17 minutes ago)
to John

and I want to host a scheme environment in a C plugin using the Max SDK.

Chicken is a little tricky to use as an embedded Scheme, though it's very good at embedding C.  (Chez cannot be embedded at all; it has to be the main program.)

Guile is designed for embedding.  As for S7, I would use Chibi instead: it's more modern and probably faster.

Thanks John. I got Guile working as a bare proof of concept, but have a feeling so far that Chicken could provide some advantages, in that being able to compile stuff down to C that my code can use might turn out really handy. I plan to keep plugging away at both for a bit to see how it plays out, as it's all quite exploratory at this stage. Can you tell me anything more about "a little tricky"?  As in challenges or limitations?
(btw, sorry for the direct message double copy, didn't notice the settings on this list properly)

thanks

and I want to host a scheme environment in a C plugin using the Max SDK.

Chicken is a little tricky to use as an embedded Scheme, though it's very good at embedding C.  (Chez cannot be embedded at all; it has to be the main program.)

Guile is designed for embedding.  As for S7, I would use Chibi instead: it's more modern and probably faster.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        address@hidden
Economists were put on this planet to make astrologers look good.
        --Leo McGarry