Re: [ANN] Source code of all eggs as git repositories

From: Mario Domenech Goulart
Subject: Re: [ANN] Source code of all eggs as git repositories
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 21:25:57 +0100

Hi Tim,

On Fri, 01 Nov 2019 13:43:09 +0100 plugd via <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mario Domenech Goulart writes:
>> To fill this gap, we are making available git repositories that contain
>> the source code of the whole set of eggs.  See [2] for more information
>> on how to clone them.
>
> This is great!  Thank you.  This reminds me: one thing that I've always
> wondered is whether it would be possible to add links directly from the
> wiki.call-cc.org/eggref/* pages to the relevant repository.  This would
> have helped me quite a bit in my early days of using Chicken, as I
> remember being very confused about where to find the official repository
> associated with any given package.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back when we had all eggs in svn, the information about the repository
where eggs could be found was a bit redundant, as all of them were in
the same repository.  Thus, this information was omitted from the egg
documentation pages.

Since we adopted the distributed approach, most eggs not hosted in svn
have a link to their repository in their respective wiki page.  Usually
when the documentation of eggs doesn't mention the repository, it's
because they are in svn.  Now that the distributed approach is the
recommented way to store eggs, I think the documentation of eggs stored
in svn should also include a link to their repostories.  Unfortunatelly,
I don't think there is an easy way to do that automatically.

All the best.
Mario
--
http://parenteses.org/mario