Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-install openssl fails on Windows

From: k l
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] chicken-install openssl fails on Windows
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 03:56:23 -0800

Thanks. Took a while for me to fix this problem. It appears to me that the choco version of the chicken is deemed limited when it comes to installing eggs - the openssl egg requires the libs and headers. But the libs must be compiled with a matching compiler that compiled the chicken compiler. This is hard. There's no guarantee this can work. The only solution that works for me is to compile and install Chicken from source. And use the same compiler to compile any necessary eggs down the road.

I documented my experience here[1]. Hope it can be useful for anyone who bumped into the same issues.

[1]: http://kflu.github.io/2017/02/22/2017-02-22-chicken-scheme-notes/

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:23 AM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:04:41AM -0800, k l wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Peter. It's still a little confusing for me -
> Chocolatey installed Chicken and its dependency mingw for me. Chicken is
> installed at c:\chicken, mingw is installed to c:\tools\mingw. When you
> said I need to install openSSL development lib (headers), does that mean I
> need to install it from mingw, which the chicken installation is aware of?

I've never used Chocolatey, but usually a package manager ensures that
all the packages you install aware of eachother.  So, I'd think you
should be able to install openssl from Chocolatey and it should
Just Work(TM).

If that doesn't work, you could try installing it in Mingw.

Cheers,
Peter