Re: [Chicken-users] Can't load Simply Scheme code

From: Lawrence Bottorff
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Can't load Simply Scheme code
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 08:58:52 -0400

False alarm. It turned out to be a bad copy of the Simply Scheme files. Don't know why, though. Thanks anyway.

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, Jul 03, 2016 at 10:02:22AM -0400, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
> I'm having trouble with loading the code for the Berkeley Scheme course
> Simply Scheme, specifically this
> <http://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~bh/downloads/simply/simply.scm> code.
> I've tested it in many different versions of Scheme. In Chicken, I get this
> error:
>
> #;1> (load "simply.scm")
>
> Error: (symbol->string) bad argument type - not a symbol: #<procedure (?
> wd)>

Hello Lawrence,

Are you only loading the exact file from that URL?  Which version of
CHICKEN are you using?

If I do the same in any of the last three releases (these are 4.9.0.1,
4.10.0 and 4.11.0), it loads the file without any complains:

CHICKEN
(c) 2008-2016, The CHICKEN Team
(c) 2000-2007, Felix L. Winkelmann
Version 4.11.0 (rev ce980c4)
linux-unix-gnu-x86-64 [ 64bit manyargs dload ptables ]
compiled 2016-05-28 on yves.more-magic.net (Linux)

#;1> (load "simply.scm")
#;2>

So this seems to indicate you're either testing with a very old version
of CHICKEN, or you've already made some changes to the code from that URL.

Cheers,
Peter