Re: [Chicken-users] Compiling the openssl egg on OS X

From: Christian Kellermann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Compiling the openssl egg on OS X
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 17:07:30 +0100

* Blake Sweeney <address@hidden> [160316 16:57]:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 02:24:23PM +0000, Norman Gray wrote:
> > I'm having difficulty installing the openssl egg on OS X 10.10.  I'd be
> > surprised if I'm the first person to encounter this problem, but I can't
> > find anything about it in the mail archive.
> >
> > When I attempt to install the egg with 'chicken-install openssl' it fails as
> > shown below.  This will ultimately be because, if I recall correctly, Apple
> > have deprecated OpenSSL in favour of their own crypto framework (I believe
> > there was a long argument about API changes between releases, or something
> > like that).
> >
> > I can of course install openssl elsewhere, and have done so, but looking at
> > the chicken-install --help text, I can't see any way of directing
> > chicken-install to this alternate location (I tried -I /path/to/install,
> > just on the off-chance, but...).  Is there any way of adjusting the paths
> > for the compilation step in chicken-install?
> >
> > I discovered this problem because I managed yesterday to get my application
> > building with modules (thanks to the list!), and the dependency information
> > in that seems to require the openssl egg be present.  Building the same
> > application with only compilation units appears to work fine without openssl
> > installed (it doesn't actually use openssl functionality).
> >
> > Thanks for any pointers or workarounds.
>
> I just ran into this a few weeks ago. I ended up downloading the openssl
> egg and modifying openssl.setup to look like:
>
> (begin
>   (compile
>     -I/Users/bsweene/.local/Cellar/openssl/1.0.2f/include
> -L/Users/bsweene/.local/Cellar/openssl/1.0.2f/lib
>    -O2 -d0 -s -j openssl "openssl.scm" -lssl -lcrypto)
>   (compile -O2 -d0 -s openssl.import.scm)
>   (compile
>     -I/Users/bsweene/.local/Cellar/openssl/1.0.2f/include
> -L/Users/bsweene/.local/Cellar/openssl/1.0.2f/lib
>    -O2 -d0 -c "openssl.scm" -lssl -lcrypto
>    -o openssl-static.o -unit openssl -D static)))
>
> I added the -I/path/to/openssl/include and -L/path/to/openssl/lib to get
> it to install. I install openssl with homebrew if that matters. Seems to
> work for me now.

This can also be accomplished by setting the CSC_OPTIONS variable properly for
chicken-install:

CSC_OPTIONS="-I/Users/bsweene/.local/Cellar/openssl/1.0.2f/include
-L/Users/bsweene/.lo\
cal/Cellar/openssl/1.0.2f/lib" chicken-install openssl

without any modifications.

Does that work?

Kind regards,

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.