Re: [Chicken-users] PS: problem compiling master

From: Jörg F . Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] PS: problem compiling master
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 20:24:45 +0100

Am 26.01.2016 um 20:12 schrieb Peter Bex:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 07:51:49PM +0100, Jörg F. Wittenberger wrote:
>>> Can you tell us exactly what you did with chicken-install?  Any
>>> particular flags or environment variables?
>>
>> I did nothing at all.
>
> Without full output and exact command line we can only *guess* at what
> went wrong.
>
>> I tried a recompile from a copy of the latest dir which compiled on my
>> desktop (which is a "utilite" - no longer supported by Debian and stuck
>> on updates - f* anyway).  Trying any "use whatever" fails (except for
>> things coming with chicken-core).
>
> Yeah, one of CHICKEN's strengths is that it has no dependencies, so you
> can make it work even on old systems.

:-/  If I only could...

>> Basically nothing is working anymore.  (Plus some strange health issue
>> of mine, which takes the last never I ever had.)
>
> :(
>
>> I'm running into all sorts of problem.  In between these messages I
>> tried "make dist" from my last build on the desktop and recompile that
>> one:  "no rule to make debugger-client.scm needed by debugger-client.c"
>
> This sounds like you have some stale files from an earlier build lying
> around.  Try git clean -f before building to make sure everything from
> before is completely gone.

OK, will try that next.  Git is so great.  After having learned that it
is the best version control system to shoot myself into the foot (having
used most since RCS - SCCS I only read about...) I'm still a bit shy to
rely on it.  But git has even more options than "ls" so it must be
great.  "git clean -f" who sent me this one:
https://xkcd.com/1597/  ?  Probably some Peter.  ;-)

Right now this xkcd solution "git checkout 5b27c626dcd" is trying to di
it's best.  Seems to work longer than before.  But maybe I'm just not as
attentive.