Re: [Chicken-users] performance of bignums

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] performance of bignums
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:09:19 +0200

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 03:59:59PM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> Peter Bex scripsit:
>
> > Thanks for posting this.  We had already been discussing it earlier
> > today in #chicken.  I had another look at the code but I can't really
> > find any obvious inefficiencies.  It is indeed a bit faster with
> > CHICKEN 5, but not by much.
>
> Potential confounders are the I/O and the call to "format".  When I
> get a chance, I'll try running the core of the code on the various
> implementations on my Scheme machine (which I only have access to
> nights and weekends now, thanks to $EMPLOYER's paranoia).

I already removed the use of the "format" egg (the code contains a
commented-out version that relies only on "display"), and even
completely disable the println call.  It's hard to be sure, but it
*looks* like the majority of the time is being spent in the division
procedures.

Seeing how it fares on other Schemes would be interesting though!

Cheers,
Peter