Re: [Chicken-users] u8vector to numbers bignum

From: Peter Bex
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] u8vector to numbers bignum
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 23:23:21 +0200

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 10:34:55PM +0200, Michele La Monaca wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Peter Bex <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Yeah, the numbers random implementation is shitty, which is why I
> > decided to omit it from my port to CHICKEN core (CHICKEN 5's random is
> > still fixnum only).  Personally, I think it would be better if we simply
> > got rid of all "random" support in core, because there's no way this is ever
> > going to satisfy everyone.  Besides, the standard C library functions are
> > deeply flawed, especially on some platforms like OS X.
>
> I think that if you keep removing features from core, we will soon run
> out of them.

That's silly rethoric, considering we are on the verge of merging in a
huge new feature (full numeric tower) and have a lot more new things
planned in the roadmap: http://wiki.call-cc.org/chicken-5-roadmap

We want a well-defined, coherent core rather than a core with features
from all over the place in various degrees of disrepair.

> When I use “stock" random functions in any language I
> don’t have high expectations, but for sure, I always expect a random
> function to be readily available.

If this is such an important feature it may make more sense to include
a "proper" PRNG.  Anyway, this is just my opinion, I don't expect the
entire core team to agree with me.

Cheers,
Peter