Re: [Chicken-users] Why there is no "nil"?

From: Alex Stuart
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Why there is no "nil"?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 09:46:34 -0800

"It's remarkable how much energy in the standardization of Lisp dialects has been dissipated in arguments that are literally over nothing: Should nil be an ordinary name? Should the value of nil be a symbol? Should it be a list? Should it be a pair? In Scheme, nil is an ordinary name.... Other dialects of Lisp, including Common Lisp, treat nil as a special symbol. The authors of this book, who have endured too many language standardization brawls, would like to avoid the entire issue."

(from "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" by Harold Abelson and Gerald Sussman)

--Alex